6/10/2012

On Truth

"On Truth" By Harry G. Frankfurt


 After reading Nobel Prize in Literature laureate Albert Camus' "L'etranger", I was looking for books on philosophy in my local library. ("L'etranger" was a required reading for my French class, but I actually ended up really enjoying it and wrote a fantastic dissertation regarding Camus' philosophy of absurdism and how it was reflected upon the main character of the novel, Meursault.) I went to the philosophy section of the non-fiction section (the 100 region is for all books on philosophy for anyone else interested) and a glint of gold caught my eye.
Admittedly, I have a love for all things pretty, and that includes packaging and book covers, and "On Truth" really was no different. The contents of this book, however, surprised me. The author was very clear in saying he did not intend to define truth with this essay. It pointed out several realities I wasn't even aware of regarding why society values truth and why the individual does too.
It explores a lot of interesting ideas, even though it doesn't go extremely in-depth about the subject (but let's be real here: if one were to go extremely in depth about a subject as vast as that, one wouldn't have enough pages or ink in the entire world to figure it all out).
Anyway, if you are looking for a short philosophical book to read to fill some spare time with a really nice cover and a pocket-sized shape, this is not a bad one to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment